st: programming with stata,

From   "Tunga Kantarci" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: programming with stata,
Date   Mon, 5 May 2008 17:52:27 +0200

Thanks for all the comments.
I think I will learn Mata, given said that the transition costs to other
software are modest.
But today, you can imagine that it is not an easy decision.
There lies attractive alternatives like R, or as discussed Ox.

A strong reason to choose Mata over Ox might be the large user base.
Another might be the combination of higher and lower level languages,
for which their knowledge, I expect, to spill over each other.

But still, it may be hard to predict which software will be more widely used
in future.
I don't know how the market evolves among these softwares but I may imagine
that some languages will
wear out, as Fortran and now Gauss seem to be doing so (But I should speak
loosely, because I don't know much).

What would be your prediction?