RE: st: programming with stata,

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: programming with stata,
Date   Mon, 5 May 2008 18:56:26 -0400

//
My two cents in this long discussion.

I think that C/C+ or Fortran are "really" low-level languages, meanwhile
Ox, Octave, R, Matlab and Gauss are matrix-based packages. My experience
talking with some econometricians in the States (a non random sample) is
the following: they use matrix-based packages easy-to-use to try new
techniques (theoretical econometrics) or run simulations. However,
applied econometricians (most from labor) likes Stata very much as it is
a easy-but-strong software to manipulate data and run standard
econometrics techniques.

Matrix-oriented packages are so easy to use that I do not see a point to
"learn" how to use them. Ox and R are sligtly different in syntax but at
the end the same stuff. C/C+ or Fortran are languages that you need to
learn at some point in your life (the sooner the better). There is a(n)
(in)famous sentence by Edward Prescott: "nothing replaces a long weekend
compiling a code in Fortran". Fortran is a very powerful language,
widely used in engeniering. Gauss was written in that language... or in
other word Fortran is its father. I guess that Matlab used to be written
in Fortran as well but since several years ago the company moves to
C/C+. The latter is the (current) father of Stata and EViews.

Mata is a language in Stata that combines C and Fortran styles with a
unique feature. That feature is the fact that you could still have
ado-programming as your master, leaving the dirty stuff to Mata. In
addition, Mata is taking care of some parental-duties of C in Stata.

In conclusion, get a tutorial of Matlab or Gauss and use them for quick
processes. Learn ado-prog and Mata if you wish to apply and share your
material with other people.

Rodrigo.