RE: st: ttest or xtmelogit?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ttest or xtmelogit?
Date   Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:14:12 -0000

Steven is correct. This isn't mentioned in -transint-.

-transint- (on SSC) is a slightly unusual package. It is just a help
file written because I wanted my (geography) students to have something
better than the rather poor coverage of transformations in the books
available to them. In fact, I haven't been able to find many accounts of
transformations that were very concise, covered the really important
ideas, but were also light on the mathematics, which is of course a
contradictory desire. Anyway, it then seemed that it might be useful a
little more widely.

Variance-stabilisation is as Steven says the motive for the angular: it
is difficult
to imagine it arising except out of an algebraic argument, which I think
goes back
to Fisher. So, next time around, that might merit an explanation.

Steven Samuels

Not mentioned in -transint- is the variance-stabilizing property of
the angular transformation: it has asymptotic variance 1/4n, which is
not a function of p (Anscombe, 1948). If the observed proportion is r/
n, Anscombe showed that the arcsine of [(r + 3/8)/(n + 3/4)]^.5  is
even better at stabilizing the variance, for moderate sample size.
The second version has variance 1/(4n + 2).

The arcsine-transformation used to be recommended because transformed
proportions  could be analyzed via standard ANOVA programs.  I once
found it useful in a variance components analysis. The 'error'
variance was a mixture of a between-sample and within sample
(binomial) variance. With the arcsine transformation, I could
subtract out the part attributable to binomial variation.

-Steve

FJ Anscombe 1948. The transformation of Poisson, Binomial, and
negative-binomial data. Biometrika 35:246-254