Re: st: ttest or xtmelogit?

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ttest or xtmelogit?
Date   Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:10:12 -0400

Not mentioned in -transint- is the variance-stabilizing property of the angular transformation: it has asymptotic variance 1/4n, which is not a function of p (Anscombe, 1948). If the observed proportion is r/ n, Anscombe showed that the arcsine of [(r + 3/8)/(n + 3/4)]^.5 is even better at stabilizing the variance, for moderate sample size. The second version has variance 1/(4n + 2).

The arcsine-transformation used to be recommended because transformed proportions could be analyzed via standard ANOVA programs. I once found it useful in a variance components analysis. The 'error' variance was a mixture of a between-sample and within sample (binomial) variance. With the arcsine transformation, I could subtract out the part attributable to binomial variation.

-Steve

FJ Anscombe 1948. The transformation of Poisson, Binomial, and negative-binomial data. Biometrika 35:246-254