Re: st: trend analysis for survey data

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: trend analysis for survey data
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:03:26 -0400

The mean of a binary variable is the proportion with the event. Thus - svy regression- will give a test for trend in proportions. For proportions between 20% and 80%, linear, logit, and probit transformations have similar fits (DR Cox, Analysis of Binary Data, Methuen 1970). The 'Chi Square Test for Trend in Proportions' for independent, non-survey data (e.g. PA Armitage Statistical Methods in Medical Research,Wiley, 1971, p 363) is essentially a test for a non- zero linear regression coefficient for proportions under the null hypothesis. (Moreover, it is the maximum likelihood score test for trend in logistic regression (reference: I forget).) All in all the linear version is much easier to interpret. Either the linear or logistic version have the proper type 1 error rate, but Audrey should decide which scale to use after plotting her data. Certainly if she wants to interpolate, extrapolate, or summarize the prediction with a regression coefficient, she should choose a well-fitting model.

-Steven