RE: st: Storing multiple values in a macro

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Storing multiple values in a macro
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:25:25 -0000

I agree with Keith's comments.

It does not sound as if you really need to store multiple numerical
values in a macro for your purposes.

In any case, here's a further warning:

. local foo 2 -1

. di `foo'
1

. local foo 2 (-1)

. di `foo'
2-1

If some values are negative, watch out. Stata tries its level best in
some contexts to find expressions
and evaluate them. Thus, you are often well advised to wrap negative
numbers in parentheses.

Keith Dear

First off, you can't really store even a single numerical value in a
macro, except as a string representation. Macros are always strings.
You can store a representation of several numbers by separating them
with spaces, or indeed any character you please including none.

. loc two `=_pi' `=exp(1)'
. di "`two'"
3.141592653589793 2.718281828459045
loc two `:di %6.4f _pi'`:di %6.4f exp(1)'
. di "`two'"
3.14162.7183

Second question: if the match is 1:1 with no extra rows, and the date
intervals don't overlap, you can sort both datasets and then simply
stick them side by side using -merge- with no merge variables: they
should line up properly in date order. It would be wise to check
(-assert-).

Otherwise, if you data is not too large, you may be able to use
-joinby- to build a dataset holding all pairwise combinations of the
two datasets, then throw away the rows (n(n-1) of them) that don't
match.

Malcolm Wardlaw