RE: st: question on cond( )

From   "Jared Gross" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: question on cond( )
Date   Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:13:02 -0500

Dear Mr. Cox,

I have tried to email the Stata list three times over the last two days and
for some reason my message hasn't gotten through.  I am emailing you because
I've noticed that you are a frequent list poster and I'm hoping that you can
either help me solve my Stata problem or forward my message to the list,
where it can be read and answered by someone else.  Thank you so much for
your help!

----

Please forgive my basic question; relative to most users on this list, I'm
not very familiar with Stata.

I'm trying to use the nlogit command in Stata 10 to estimate a degenerate
model of mergers and acquisitions.  Unfortunately, I keep getting the error
"no cases remain after removing invalid observations."  Because I'm pretty
sure I'm mis-specifying my model, and possibly don't have the cases right,
I'm hoping someone here can help.

My data looks like the following:

Ticker	Year 	Covariates 	GoesPrivate 	PublicTakeover 	Event
ContinuesIndep

A		1999	x		0			0
0		1
A		2000	x		0			1
1		0
B		1998	y		0			0
0		1
B		1999	z		0			0
0		1
B		2000	z		1			0
2		0

And the model I want to estimate is:

Company either (1) has  ContinuesIndependently == 1 OR (2) is subject to
Event == 1 | Event == 2

If Event == 1 | Event == 2, then either (A) GoesPrivate == 1 OR (B)
PublicTakeover == 1,

so that I have a nested model in which the first logit determines whether a
company continues in my data to the next year or exits through "Takeover"
(i.e. Event == 1 | Event == 2); and then a second, degenerate stage in which
the company, if Takeover == 1, either GoesPrivate == 1 or PublicTakeover ==
1.

How do I estimate this?  I tried to use the following commands:

egen id = group(ticker)
nloitgen takeoverType = Event(Cont: 0, takeover: 1|2)
nlogit GoesPrivate covariates || takeoverType: other_covariates, base(cont)
||, case(id)

I think my problem may be coming stemming from my use of ticker as the
case(id).

Thank you so much for your help.

Jared