RE: st: question on cond( )

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: question on cond( )
Date   Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:57:58 -0000

Your last question is about intention -- what was in the mind of the
program designers -- and
is perhaps best answered by StataCorp. Oddly enough, I've never used the
four argument case that
I can recall. Although some dislike the usage, nesting of -cond(,)- lets
you handle four or more
branches, and I find that more congenial, e.g.

cond(x == 1, 1, cond(x == 2, 2, cond(x == 3, 3, 4)))

Naturally there are many other ways to achieve similar results.

.Nick
[email protected]

Visintainer, Paul

Nick,

Thanks for the coding suggestions.  This is exactly what I was looking
for--especially for the multiple variables.  And, Nick (Winter), thanks
for the explanation for cond().

One question: was it the intention of the 4-level cond() to code for
missings or is there some other application for it?