st: RE: ST: Basic question to Count Data Models

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: ST: Basic question to Count Data Models
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:24:59 EST

Under-dispersion can be modeled using a generalized Poisson regression, and
has also been modeled using a 2-parameter log-gamma model. A double Poisson
model has also been used, but there is no software support for it that I  know
of.  Negative binomial only models overdispersion. Both the  generalized
Poisson and 2-parameter log-gamma models are discussed in some  detail in

Hilbe, Joseph M (2007), Negative Binomial Regression, Cambridge University
Press

and is also described in

Hardin, J.W and J.M. Hilbe (2007), Generalized Linear Models and  Extensions,
2nd edition, Stata Press.

Again, you can get the commands to estimate under-dispersion by downloading
them from the book's web site.

Under-dispersion is quite rare in real data, but  does occur. Actually, if
you don't have the above software, you can  adjust the standard errors of the
under-dispersed Poisson model by scaling  based on the Pearson dispersion sta
tistic. Simulation studies I have done  have shown that it generally does a good
job in appropriately adjusting the  under-dispersed model.

Joseph Hilbe