Re: st: how to use ztnb?

From   Subramanian Swaminathan <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: how to use ztnb?
Date   Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:41:09 -0800 (PST)

dear Dr Nicola,

I understand that the dispersion parameter 'k'
(=mean*mean/(variance-mean))
of the negative binomial = 1/alpha, when dispersion is
constant with no
depedent variable (note: alpha is the coefficient of
the estimated mean
relating dispersion (variance to mean ratio) with mean
in stata). But I want
to model 'k' as a function of the estimated mean 'm'
(i.e. k= k0+k1*m^beta),
where m is the mean corresponding to the age-class
given by a0+a1*age-class.
I would like to test whether k1=0 against the
alternatives k1<0 or k1>0. My
aim is to test whether the dispersion 'k' declines
with increasing
age-class.

I would like to know if I can model the relationship
of 'k' with 'm' using
the 'ztnb' option in stata. If possible, I request the
stata group to help
me out.

with regards
Subramanian Swaminathan