st: AW: apostrophes, quotation marks, left or right quotes?

From   Martin Weiss <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: AW: apostrophes, quotation marks, left or right quotes?
Date   Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:42:03 +0100

Dirk,

you are definitely spilling way too much ink on a small quirk. Your
criticism seems warranted from a German standpoint, but then again you do
not have a German Stata edition, do you?

I know that your issue can bug you, particularly if you use several packages
and each one comes with its own peculiarities. But still, the real hurdle is
to understand the macro expansion process induced by the left and right
quotes. To my - possibly limited - knowledge, there is no single place where
you can learn it satisfactorily. In particular, the nesting mentioned by
Nick has given me headaches too many times. In fact, I still use a
trial-and-error process, coupled with -set trace on- (and the concomitant
cluttered screen) to figure it out in complicated cases...

Martin

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----