RE: st: k-fold cross validation

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: k-fold cross validation
Date   Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:51:19 -0800

I prefer bootstrapping myself.

One issue with LOO is that the 'residuals' are correlated and with small
samples (say n<30 or so) the increase in variance is a problem.  The
method was first proposed by Quenouille in the 1950s, I used it in the
1960s, and Ned Glick showed that the bootstrap did a better job (i.e.,
smaller MSE) in the late 70s.

If you want to use k-observations at a time, it may be better to redo
these with random sampling of the k observations.

David Allen did something akin to this with his PRESS criterion
(Prediction Error Sum of Squares) - I don't think Stata has this (at
least under the name of PRESS), but may be able to give an equivalent
statistic.

The trick to all of this is a simple matrix inversion formula, so that
one only needs to compute the inverse of X'X once and the rest is
multiplications.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health