Re: st: Data Manipulation Question

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Data Manipulation Question
Date   Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:41:59 -0600

Here is one way:

tempfile foo
clear
input str14 country            code    year   seiz
"Britain"            200     1980   100
"Britain"            200     1981   150
"US"                2       1980   200
"US"                 2       1981   250
"Brit Virg Isl."       .     1980    50
"Brit Virg Isl."       .     1981    75
"Cayman Isl."       .        1980    50
"Cayman Isl."       .        1981    75
"US Virg Isl."      .       1980    50
"US Virg Isl."      .       1981    75
end

gen id = 1 if  country == "Britain" | country == "Brit Virg Isl." ///
 | country == "Cayman Isl."
replace id = 2 if country == "US" | country == "US Virg Isl."
sort code year
save `foo'
collapse (sum) seizplus = seiz (mean) code, by(id year)

sort code year
merge code year using `foo'
sort country code year
move seizp seiz