Re: st: importing txt file changes format of variable

From   "krishanu karmakar" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: importing txt file changes format of variable
Date   Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:25:47 +0530

Dear Ibarra

I am not proposing a very elegant way of doing it, but it might work
for you for the time being. Probably you are using the following
command for importing your data

insheet using mydata.txt

Hopefully you can open your dataset in some text editor (as you say it
is saved in txt format). Now before using the above command in Stata
open the data file in a text editor just before the first value of
us_id type an "a". So your text data should look like

 us_id       firm
 a000007       x
 010234       y
 321098       z
 112411       w

save the file and exit the text editor. Open Stata. Use the command
-insheet- as you were using earlier. Then replace the first us_id
value with

replace us_id="000007" in 1
compress

Hopefully it will do.

But I am telling you frankly more experienced Stata users may give you
a better and more elegant way of doing it.

Regards
Krishanu

On Feb 9, 2008 1:16 AM, Ms. Marilyn Ibarra <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have the following data in a txt file:
>
> us_id       firm
> 000007       x
> 010234       y
> 321098       z
> 112411       w
>
> When I import it into stata I get this:
>
> us_id       firm
> 7            x
> 10234        y
> 321098       z
> 112411       w
>
> Where the us_id changes in the first two observations (it changes for any observations that have a us_id with zeros at the beginning).  I need us_id to be a 6 digit id number for each firm (ncluding any zeros at the beginning).  This needs to be a string variable but is a numeric variable when imported into STATA.
>
> Have any idea on how to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marilyn.

Read it: http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html
Specially Question 3.