st: RE: tokenize and missing

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: tokenize and missing
Date   Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:48:54 -0000

I am pleased to see -nmissing- being useful to anyone. But the problem
here, as I understand it, can be tackled more directly:

*! NJC 1.0.0 28 January 2008
program listmissing
	version 8
	syntax [varlist] [if] [in] [, *]
	marksample touse, novarlist
	qui count if `touse'
	if r(N) == 0 error 2000

	qui foreach v of local varlist {
		count if `touse' & missing(`v')
		if r(N) local vlist `vlist' `v'
	}

	local vlist : subinstr local vlist " " ",", all
	list `vlist' if missing(`vlist'), `options'
end

Ronnie Babigumira

I have a quarterly data set and I am trying to identify missing cases

houscode       qtr   wage_ld  biz_lead
       72         1         0         0
       81         1         0         1
       81         2         .         1
       11         3         0         1
       10         4         .         .
        9         1         1         0

I started by using Nick Cox's very useful -nmissing- (ssc install
nmissing)

Which gave me

wage_ld             2
biz_lead            1

Knowing which variables have missing cases, I

list if mi(wage_ld, biz_lead)

However, to generalize it (I will be doing it by quarter) I used

nmissing
tokenize `r(varlist)'
list if mi(`1' `2')

This works for the data as it is, however, you will notice that the
missing cases are in qtr2. So, if I did this
analysis by quarter and I

keep if qtr == 1
nmissing
tokenize `r(varlist)'
list if mi(`1', `2')

I get ........invalid syntax...............

I reckon this is coming from the fact that indeed for qtr == 1, I do not
have two variables with missing data. So, is
there a way I can tweak this to allow it to proceed?