st: tokenize and missing

From   Ronnie Babigumira <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: tokenize and missing
Date   Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:18:58 +0100

Hello,

I have a quarterly data set and I am trying to identify missing cases

houscode qtr wage_ld biz_lead
72 1 0 0
81 1 0 1
81 2 . 1
11 3 0 1
10 4 . .
9 1 1 0

I started by using Nick Cox's very useful -nmissing- (ssc install nmissing)

Which gave me

wage_ld 2
biz_lead 1

Knowing which variables have missing cases, I

list if mi(wage_ld, biz_lead)

However, to generalize it (I will be doing it by quarter) I used

nmissing
tokenize `r(varlist)'
list if mi(`1' `2')

This works for the data as it is, however, you will notice that the missing cases are in qtr2. So, if I did this analysis by quarter and I

keep if qtr == 1
nmissing
tokenize `r(varlist)'
list if mi(`1', `2')

I get ........invalid syntax...............

I reckon this is coming from the fact that indeed for qtr == 1, I do not have two variables with missing data. So, is there a way I can tweak this to allow it to proceed?

Ronnie
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/