st: Suggested references for learning to use Stata for volatility forcasting, and analysis of inter-market correlations?

From   "Jon Gherman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Suggested references for learning to use Stata for volatility forcasting, and analysis of inter-market correlations?
Date   Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:30:08 -0500

Dear Statalist,

I am a biomedical researcher with a good understanding of statistical
principals and of using Stata for work in my field, but little formal
training in financial modelling, time series, etc.

I am interested, as a personal side project, in using Stata to aid in
trading stock options and securities.  In particular, I would like to
learn more about forecasting volatility (typically, I believe,
starting with GARCH-type models) and about correlating volatility and
price relationships between different securities (and groups of
securities).

Can anyone suggest references (texts, papers, websites) for learning
how to do this?  Ideally I would like to find material that uses Stata
for the examples, but anything that is at a sufficiently introductory
level for someone with my background would be helpful.

Thanks!

Jon