Re: st: Re: Generating tempfiles within a program for later use

From   "P. Wilner Jeanty" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Generating tempfiles within a program for later use
Date   Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:38:53 -0500

On Jan 8, 2008 8:20 AM, Austin Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
>....  I suspect P. Wilner Jeanty
> is copying his code into a do-file and running it, rather than copying
> the code directly to the Command window.

That was the context (in David's term) I assumed  the problem occured,
and that assumption seems to be right.

> When a do-file finishes executing, locals defined in that file are released from memory, and
> tempfiles are erased, much as happens when a -program- stops
> executing.

Therefore, referring to  those tempfiles later on (using such commands
as use, describe, merge, append, ... ) would be in vain or incorrect.
That was my assessment of the problem originating this discussion,
given the code posted.

To put things to a rest, when considering both David's and Austin's
enhancing comments, my assessment was confined in a do-file
perspective, rather than incorrect.

P. Wilner Jeanty, Post-doctoral researcher
Dept. of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics
The Ohio State University
2120 Fyffe Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210
(614) 292-6382 (Office)