Re: st: Control for the dependency of observations when correlate & ANOVA

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Control for the dependency of observations when correlate & ANOVA
Date   Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:02:29 -0600

.

You mentioned two variables, parental education and child gender. And then you also mentioned correlation. ANOVA is for continuous dependent variables, and the typical output will not give you correlation directly. Maybe you just meant association between parental education and child gender. That's a strange but interesting association! Since child gender is randomly determined at conception (at least at the population level), your hypothesis is that child gender causes variation in parental education? Causation the other way around assumes the parents had somehow selected the sex of their children by other means. And most parents are done with there education before they give birth, so why do you expect an association? Do you have enough variation in your education variable to treat it as a continuous variable? Even if not, you can find a model that associates parental education (continuous, ordinal, nomimal) with child gender (nominal binary) with the cluster option in Stata. I think you could also find a mixed model in Stata too (xtmixed, xtmelogit, gllamm).

-Dave