Re: st: clinical trials

From   "Gabi Huiber" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: clinical trials
Date   Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:22:43 -0500

That's what I suspected. A risk-averse industry turned reasonable
guidance into a de facto standard. That sort of skittishness has its
own logic. From the standpoint of the CRO's data portability is much
less of an issue than uniform computer code within the firm. Without
the latter quality checks are expensive and unreliable. When you look
for a software standard you might as well go with the biggest
provider. You can be reasonably sure that they will be around for a
while, and that everybody else will pick them for the same reason. I
wouldn't be surprised if institutional investors thought that way
about everything.

It would also bet that the origin of every CRO's decision to use SAS
could be traced to the same white paper that had nothing to do with
either drug development or statistical analysis. Some slick-talking
risk management consulting outfit must have reasoned that the higher
upfront license fees and training costs would be offset over time by
cheaper rates on liability insurance and lower recruiting costs from a
larger pool of programmers.

Gabi