Re: st: Stata plugin interface: what's the license?

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata plugin interface: what's the license?
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:43:34 -0500

Andrew Chadwick ([email protected]) is using Stata
plugins as described at

   http://www.stata.com/plugins/

and wants to know what the terms are of the license for
the "stplugin.h" and "stplugin.c" files available from
the above URL which are used to create Stata plugins:

> We're developing a plugin[1] for Stata using the SPI[2], and we'd like
> to distribute it via our servers in case anyone else might find it
> useful. Right now, we're in the process of choosing a suitable Open
> Source license, and it would be useful to us if we could know:
>
>   - The full text of the license covering stplugin.h and stplugin.c
>
>   - Whether we can distribute the two files with our plugin, and how we
>     might go about that

The answer is that we have not attached a formal license
to those files, and they are intended to be freely used and
redistributed.

The easiest way for Andrew to make the new plugin accessible is
distribute it via a Stata package (.pkg) file as detailed in
-help usersite- in Stata.  Andrew will want to pay particular
attention to the section of -help usersite- describe the 'g lines'
of package files, which is how platform-specific materials such as
plugins may be distributed.

Andrew can also make stplugin.h and stplugin.c along with the
source code of his plugin available as ancillary files in the
Stata package, which Stata users can then download with -net get-.

After Andrew has created a user download site accessible with -net-
in Stata, if he will email me, we will make sure to put a link
to his site from

   . net from http://www.stata.com/links/

which will allow the -findit- crawler to index his site and make
it available to all Stata users.

--Alan
([email protected])