Re: st: executing a command based on the prefix of variables

From   Philipp Rehm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: executing a command based on the prefix of variables
Date   Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:05:42 +0200

I don't know how large your data-set is and what you intend to do with the resulting summary statistics.

However, an easy way to generate tables along the lines you seem to want them would be this:

tabstat telephone*, s(mean n max min med) c(s)
tabstat clock*, s(mean n max min med) c(s)
tabstat cltv*, s(mean n max min med) c(s)
tabstat bicycle*, s(mean n max min med) c(s)

HTH,
Ph

Yusuke Taishi wrote:

Thanks for your help and sorry for the ambiguity in my explanation.

I was able to construct a foreach command that generates the same results as your suggestions.
But the results from tabstat are displayed like the following;

variable | mean N max min p50
-------------+--------------------------------------------------
telephone | 1.960888 2659 2 1 2

variable | mean N max min p50
-------------+--------------------------------------------------
telephoneno | 1.25 104 5 1 1

variable | mean N max min p50
-------------+--------------------------------------------------
telephonesh | 1.929293 99 2 1 2

variable | mean N max min p50
-------------+--------------------------------------------------
telephones~o | 4.428571 7 20 1 2

But what I wanted to do was actually producing following results by loop;

variable | mean N max min p50
-------------+--------------------------------------------------
telephone | 1.960888 2659 2 1 2
telephoneno | 1.25 104 5 1 1
telephonesh | 1.929293 99 2 1 2
telephones~o | 4.428571 7 20 1 2

variable | mean N max min p50
clock | 1.285446 2659 2 1 1
clockno | 1.996839 1898 15 1 2

i.e. displaying the results from tabstat by the set of variables that shares the same prefix.
Of course, the above examples were achieved by writing a single command line for each group.
But as I have many such variables, I would somehow want to do this with foreach command(s).

Yusuke