st: executing a command based on the prefix of variables

From   Yusuke Taishi <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: executing a command based on the prefix of variables
Date   Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:47:47 +0530

I have a data set that contains variables like;

telephone
telephoneno
telephonesh
telephoneshno
clock
clockno
cltv
cltvno
bicycle
bicycleno
bicyclesh
bicycleshno

and many more.  As you can see, they take the form of ;
"name of item"
"name of item"no; or
["name of item"sh / "name of item"shno, whenever appropriate].

I would like to tell STATA to look at the names of variables and execute;
tabstat `var', s(mean n max min med) c(s)
only for the set of variables that contains the same prefix, and loop over the
next set of variables, and then next, and so on.

I tried to embed ifcmd or subinstr command in the loop but haven't been able
to pull it off. I feel like I'm missing out something very basic.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Yusuke