st: Re: overidentification test after reg3

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: overidentification test after reg3
Date   Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:00:47 -0400

It is not apparent that this system is simultaneous. The dependent variables are dw1,dw3, dw3, exp, p1, p2, p3, p4 = 7. I do not see any of those variables on the RHS of other equations. If that is the case, there is no simultaneity here, and each equation can be estimated by OLS (or, with constraints across equations, as a SUR via sureg).

If there is no simultaneity, there is no question of identification, and thus no need for a test of overidentifying restrictions. It is not surprising that the routine referenced should come up with a huge number of d.f., as the number of exogenous variables is huge, and that will be multiplied by 7. By my count you're estimating 48 RHS coefficients (plus constant terms) minus 6 constraints, or 42. Somehow, I knew the answer should be 42.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html