Re: st: legend on graph help

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: legend on graph help
Date   Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:50:41 +0100

Svend Juul wrote, in response to Scott C and Scott M:
> Personal view: I think the || notation is a lot less transparent than
> the () notation. So I would write the above command:
>
> twoway                                                   ///
>    (line mpg price if fore == 0 , sort lc(blue) lp(dash)) ///
>    (line mpg price if fore == 1 , sort lc(black))         ///
>    ,                                                      ///
>    legend(order(1 "white sex ratio" 2 "black sex ratio"))

I aggree with most of the things Svend said, however, regarding the ||
notation I recently changed my mind. I meanwhile write commands like the
above as follows:

twoway                                                      ///
  || line mpg price if fore == 0 , sort lc(blue) lp(dash)   ///
  || line mpg price if fore == 1 , sort lc(black)           ///
  || , legend(order(1 "white sex ratio" 2 "black sex ratio")

Note that I use || to start the plots instead of ending them as it is proposed
in the manual. I admitt that the first mention of || is not necessary but I
think that it makes the command at least as transparent as with the ()
notation. Moreover I think it is even nicer with longer plot-subcommands:

twoway                                                    ///
  || line mpg price                                       ///
     if fore == 0  & whatever you like                    ///
     , sort lc(blue) lp(dash)  bla bla bla bal bal        ///
  || line mpg price                                       ///
     if fore == 1  & some other exp                       ///
     , sort lc(black) etc etc etc etc                     ///
  || , legend(order(1 "white sex ratio" 2 "black sex ratio")

Using || or () is clearly a matter of taste, and I don't want to start arguing
about it. However, what I am trying to say is that starting lines with || can
also help to structure long graph commands.

Uli

+49 (030) 25491-361