Re: st: legend on graph help

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: legend on graph help
Date   Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:15:20 +0100

In a response to Scott C., Scott M. wrote, among other things:

2.  It doesn't appear that the -legend(order())- (or the ytitle,
yscale....)
are attached to one of the -line- commands.

- and suggested:

twoway line mpg price if fore == 0 ,sort lc(blue) lp(dash) ///
|| line mpg price if fore == 1 , sort lc(black)  ///
legend(order(1 "white sex ratio" 2 "black sex ratio"))

Stata graph commands can be complex; I think it is helpful to keep the
terminology straight:

-line- is not a command; it is a plot specification as part of a
-twoway- graph command.

The legend() option is an option to the graph command, not to a plot
specifation. So it should not be "attached to one of the -line-
commands".

Personal view: I think the || notation is a lot less transparent than
the () notation. So I would write the above command:

twoway                                                   ///
   (line mpg price if fore == 0 , sort lc(blue) lp(dash)) ///
   (line mpg price if fore == 1 , sort lc(black))         ///
   ,                                                      ///
   legend(order(1 "white sex ratio" 2 "black sex ratio"))

Here we have a graph command (twoway) with two plot specifications
(line); each plot specification has options (sort, etc.). The graph
command also has an option: (legend()). ytitle() and yscale() would be
graph options, too. I gave the comma separating the graph command body
from the graph options a line of its own, just for visual clarity.

Stata often can be quite tolerant to deviations from the strict rules,
as Scott M.'s example shows (it actually works), but I think that things
are easier to understand when sticking to the rules.

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000  Aarhus C, Denmark