Re: Statalist: who we are (gmail)

From   Simon Moore <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Statalist: who we are (gmail)
Date   Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:10:26 +0000

Friedrich,

Gmail allows pop access. So I use the client Thunderbird to access and read Statalist. Thunderbird does allow fixed-width fonts and so the tables easily readable.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Friedrich Huebler wrote:

Interesting analysis, Nick. I was surprised to find three other list
members who still use Rocketmail. But more surprisingly, gmail.com is
the most frequently listed domain name. I have a question for the
Gmail users on the list. How do you handle Statalist messages that
contain tables that are constructed with a fixed-width font and that
don't line up properly with the default font of Gmail? One way to
deal with this issue is described here:

http://huebler.info/2005/20051003_statalist.html

What I don't like about the approach at the above page is that all
non-HTML mail is displayed with a fixed-width font in Gmail and that
there is no simple way to switch back to a variable-width font. Are
there other approaches to reading Statalist with Gmail? Do most Gmail
users live with Stata output that is hard to read?

One more question: I tried searching Statacorp's Statalist archive
for messages regarding Gmail but a search for "gmail" returns all
messages from subscribers with a Gmail address. Searches like " gmail
", "gmail -gmail.com" or "gmail NOT gmail.com" don't seem to work.

Thanks,

Friedrich Huebler

--- Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
I signed on to Statalist-digest temporarily and then downloaded lists of who we are.
I subtracted myself as temporary, but did not correct for the 19 email addresses who get both Statalist and Statalist-digest. (Keen!)
Some summary tables follow my signature
which may be of interest.
[snip]