st: Generating weighted percentages

From   Rijo John <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Generating weighted percentages
Date   Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:01:28 +0530

Hi all,

I want to find the weighted percentage of people owning a car across
different income groups. I have an id variable (id_var) for each
individual and an indicator variable denoting their income status and
another variable denoting their expenditure on car. If the expenditure
is 0 it is recorded as missing value and it would mean that the person
doesn't own a car.

I do it as follows:

table income [pw=multiplier], c(n id_var) row

table income [pw=multiplier], c(n car) row

After this I take out the results from each table and manually
calculates the percentages dividing values from 1st table by the
corresponding values from the 2nd table and multiplying by hundred. Is
there a shortcut way by which I can get such weighted percentages
(pweights) in stata. (without having to do the manual tabulation
later) Because, I need to repeat this exercise for different
commodities and for different categories.

Thanking you in advance,
Rijo John.