st: Normalization in Stata

From   Phil Bardsley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Normalization in Stata
Date   Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:11:43 -0500

Sabah,

What ORC Macro means by "normalize" in this case is to make each individual household member into a separate observation. That way the sampling weights are appropriate. You can do this with the -reshape long- command. The "Guide to DHS Statistics" by Rutstein and Rojas, available from ORC Macro, goes into detail about how to do this in SPSS. I can fax you the pages if you want to read it yourself.

-------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:34:50 +0000
From: Sabah Abdullah <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Re: Normalization in STATA

How do we normalize variables in STATA? I have household survey from
DHS and had simple output to describe the variables (see below). Note,
the number of observations and the number of total household is
problematic in running mlogit or ologit analysis. See, there were
several members of the same household who took part in the sruvey (see
the observation no. as 37,263 as opposed to 203 household numbers.) I
read in the DHS manual ' if the unit of analysis is the household
members then the files need to be normalized". There are various
normalization i.e. symetrical etc
Any suggestion or comments?

Thanks.
--