RE: st: Mean Test

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Mean Test
Date   Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:39:44 +0000 (GMT)

Rijo:

Appart from first testing for equality of variance there are two other problems with your
approach:

1) The t-test is for comparing the means of two groups. You want to compare three groups, in which
case the t-test (on pairs) is not appropriate, as Nick already suggested. I am not familiar with
Jonckheere-Terpstra test he sugested, I always teach my students to use a oneway anova in this
case. So I did that in the example code below.

2) You are doing multiple test: p-value of .05 means that you will find a significant result when
you shouldn't in 1 out of 20 times you perform a test. If you do many tests, like you are
proposing, than you will find significant results just by coincidence (random sampling error).
When doing multiple testing you should adjust your p-values. This is what the -_mtest- command in
my example does, see -help _mtest- if you want to know more.

*-----------begin example--------------
set more off
sysuse lifeexp, clear

local i = 1
tempname tests
matrix `tests' =  J(4,1,0)

foreach var of varlist popgrowth-safewater {
	oneway `var' region
	matrix `tests'[`i',1] = Ftail(r(df_m), r(df_r),r(F))
	local ++i
}
matrix list `tests'
_mtest adjust `tests', pindex(1) replace mtest(sidak)
matrix list r(result)
*---------------end example-----------------------

HTH,
Maarten