RE: st: missing value problem in ml estimation

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: missing value problem in ml estimation
Date   Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:52:59 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Lian,
Am I understanding you correctly that you have missing values which you have given numerical
values like 2 or 99999999? How did you tell Stata that a 2 or a 9999999 means missing? The
standard code for missing in Stata is ".", if you want more than one missing code you could use
".a" till ".z". My guess is that Stata did not recognize your missing codes as missing and treated
them as real values. see -help missing- for more information on missing observations in Stata.
-help ml- tells you that the "missing" option in -ml model- "specifies that observations
containing variables with missing values are not to be eliminated from the estimation sample",
which is probably not what you want.

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis