RE: st: Efficiency of calculating maximum likelihood

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Efficiency of calculating maximum likelihood
Date   Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:17:15 -0600

It appears that the initial values for the constant-only model are
hard-coded.

Using the lognormal distribution as an example, you can alter (after making
a copy for safekeeping) -lnormal.ado- so that if accepts the initial values
passed to it.

If you alter line 142:
				*/ init(_cons=1) /*

				*/ `iniopt' /*

it will take the values passed to it from -from()-

Now, there is only one iteration in the constant-only model in the second
specification below:

sysuse cancer, clear
qui stset studytime, failure(died)
qui streg , dist(lnorm)
matrix b0 = e(b)
streg  study age , dist(lnorm) from(b0)  trace

. qui stset studytime, failure(died)

. qui streg , dist(lnorm)

. matrix b0 = e(b)

. streg  study age , dist(lnorm) from(b0)	trace

failure _d:  died
analysis time _t:  studytime

Fitting constant-only model:

Iteration 0: