Re: st: factor analysis on tetrachoric correlation

From   Mike Lacy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: factor analysis on tetrachoric correlation
Date   Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:07:00 -0700

At 02:33 AM 1/25/2004 -0500, you wrote:

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:02:18 -0500
From: Richard Williams <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Re: st: factor analysis on tetrachoric correlation

At 09:59 PM 1/23/2004 +0100, Jean-Benoit Hardouin wrote:
>OK, I understand your proposition. Instead to use the matrix of the
>tetrachoric correlations between my items, I used simulated dataset with a
>correlation structure similar to this matrix.

A canonical reference on this subject happened to be floating in the detritus on my desk. I may actually have found it on J. Uebersax's website.
The article is: Knol, Dirk L. and Berger, Margin P.F. 1991 "Empirical Comparison Between Factor Analysis and Multidimension Item Response Models:." Multivarariate Behavioral Research 26: pp. 457-477.

A quote from the abstract: "...for multidimensional data a common factor analysis on the matrix of tetrachoric correlations performs at least as well as the theoretically appropriate multidimensional item response models."

It would be nice if someone could do a Stata package for polychoric correlations, which of course would include the tetrachoric case. The tetrac package, by its own admission, is not very accurate. There are some implementations out there (SPSS, Pascal, Fortran) that could be translated, with authors' permissions, of course.

Regards,

Mike Lacy
Fort Collins CO USA
(970) 491-6721 office