Re: st: SOS:Updating the Executable

From   Ernest Berkhout <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: SOS:Updating the Executable
Date   Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:53:57 +0100

At 13:25 10-12-2003, you wrote:
I am using Stata7 with window XP home edition. I have problem copying wstata.exe to the wstata.old,
and that is because it seems impossible to create wstata.old. Also it I failed to copy stata.bin to wstata.exe even when I decided
to ignore step 3. I tried to move file, copy, rename and all that but in vail. Is there something I am missing?
This sounds not like a Stata problem but more like a windows-problem that might be fixed as follows:

In the windows explorer, you probably have the default option turned on that says "Hide file extensions for known file types". In my Windows2000 this option is available through the menu-item -Tools/Folder options- and then look at the tab -View- .
Now turn off the 'hide known file extensions- and then try again.
That should work. If it doesn't you might need to ask your system administrator to help you out. The heart of your problem namely is in Windows XP, not in Stata 7.

Ernest Berkhout
SEO Amsterdam Economics
University of Amsterdam

Room 3.08