RE: st: RE: Johnson's Distributions

From   "Stephen P Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Johnson's Distributions
Date   Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:07:27 -0000

Nick Cox helpfully suggested that you look at his code for ML estimation
of the parameters describing several distributions.
I note, however, that Dimitri referred to a "frequency distribution",
which suggests that the data are in grouped (a.k.a. banded) form
(numbers of obs within intervals the boundaries of which have specified
values). Nick's programs assume unit record data ('micro' data; one row
for each obs).  As far as I know, programs for fitting distributions
grouped data aren't available.  (Analogous to -intreg-, however, I
suppose you could write down the probability of observation within each
interval, where the probability is specified using the Johnson
distribution, and use -ml- to estimate the parameters.)

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk