st: RE: Fixed intercept in linear regression, How?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Fixed intercept in linear regression, How?
Date   Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:33:28 +0100

Meng Lu

> I'd like to do a linear regression with the intercept fixed
> at 1, i.e.,
>
> y = 1 + bx
>
> I found it's quite simple in SAS and splus to do so, but I
> was not able
> to figure out how to fullfill this in stata.

Others have suggested the trick of subtracting 1
from the response and using -regress, noconstant-.

For completeness, I will mention the use of -constraint-
followed by -cnsreg-.

The two are not quite equivalent. For example, -cnsreg-
refuses to print R-squared, which is possibly the better
response in this circumstance.