st: RE: How to -graph export- without displaying the graph?

From   Kieran McCaul <kieran.mccaul@uwa.edu.au>
Subject   st: RE: How to -graph export- without displaying the graph?
Date   Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:36:47 +0800

I don't think the graph can be exported without it first being displayed.
If calling -graph use- followed by -graph export- is slowing you down, you may get an improvement in speed if you save the graph with the -asis- option:
graph twoway whatever, options saving(gname.gph, asis replace)

The advantage of this is that the saved file is smaller and therefore should be quicker to load.  The only caveat is that a graph saved with the -asis- option cannot be edited further.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Grant, Robert
Sent: Monday, 16 April 2012 6:34 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: How to -graph export- without displaying the graph?

Hi Statalisters

I am producing a large sequence of graphs within a loop, each of which I want to export as a standard image format like .tif ; for this application I am not interested in the .gph file.

Is there any way of getting the .tif files without having to display each graph in turn (which slows things down)? It seems that -graph export- needs the image to be displayed.

PS credit where credit is due: this question was previously posted (http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-08/msg00875.html) by Daniel Egan

Robert Grant
Senior Research Fellow in Quantitative Methods
Faculty of Health and Social Care Sciences
Kingston University and St George's, University of London
Grosvenor Wing, Cranmer Terrace, London, SW17 0RE.

robert.grant@sgul.kingston.ac.uk
+44 (0)20 8725 2281
http://tinyurl.com/helpwithstats
http://www.healthcare.ac.uk