Re: st: RE: Figure out in which do-file an error occurred

From (Brendan Halpin)
Subject   Re: st: RE: Figure out in which do-file an error occurred
Date   Wed, 07 Mar 2012 19:00:18 +0000

A simple but tedious strategy would be to put a line like this

-di "Beginning"-

at the start of each do-file.

If you run the master file, it will stop at the first error and you can
backtrack to the most recent "Beginning" statement.

I cope with large projects by using "make", a utility which comes with
Unix systems. Alternatively, you could use a script file (something.bat
in Windows, a shell-script file in Unix-like systems). This involves
using Stata in batch mode. However, since Stata batch jobs tell the
operating system they have completed successfully even if there has been
a Stata error, these script files will continue regardless even when
an error occurs in an earlier do-file. I wrap the call to Stata in a
script file which searches the log file for errors. I describe the
system in more detail at

Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology