Re: st: RE: Figure out in which do-file an error occurred

From   Oliver Jones <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Figure out in which do-file an error occurred
Date   Wed, 07 Mar 2012 19:29:57 +0100

-set trace on- is not practical in my case because the log-file would get far too large.
It would be perfect if a message like this would be displayed

 "error occurred in do-file: sub-dofile3 on line 187"

I am not aware of any command that helps my to figure out which do-file is currently running.

Am 07.03.2012 19:02, schrieb
I typically -set trace on- when I want to see where errors occur.

Jean-François Bertrand
Senior Economist | Économiste principal

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Oliver Jones
Sent: March 7, 2012 12:57 PM
Subject: st: Figure out in which do-file an error occurred

Hello Statalister,

I am working on a big project (well big for me).
I have a master do-file in which I call several other do-files.
It looks something like this fictional code:

******* begin master do-file **********
version 11

* Hi this is my master do-file
* A lot of stuff is done here and I
* call 5 different other do-files.

do sub-dofile-1
do sub-dofile-2
do sub-dofile-3
do sub-dofile-4
do sub-dofile-5

****** end master do-file *************

My problem is to find out in which of these sub-do-files an error occurred.
What makes it a bit tricky is that in the sub-do-files I call sub-sub-do-files and so on...

Kind Regards
Oliver Jones

Universität Bielefeld
Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Lehrstuhl für Ökonometrie und Statistik
- -
Bielefeld University
Faculty of Business Administration and Economics
Chair of Econometrics and Statistics
- -
Raum / room:  V9-108
Tel / phone:  +49 (0)521 106 4895