Re: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: AW: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...
Date   Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:59:56 -0400

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Muenchen, Robert A (Bob)
<> wrote:
>>And since R does not have
>>support in the sense the commercial vendors do, [R-help] is the only
>>source of support, and the number of subscribers to [R-help] should be
>>compared to the sum of the number subscribers to Statalist and the
>>number of people who contacted Stata tech-support@.
> Thanks for reminding me of this. I did start down this road months ago.
> Some listservs made total subscribers easy to find. Others didn't. Do
> you know where on Statalist it shows the number of subscribers?

You can ask Marcello P directly. Also, Martin Weiss did some research
on altruism on statalist and had some good statistics.

> I suspect I'll have a hard time getting the monthly phone call numbers
> from the vendors, but it can't hurt to ask. Statacorp folks are probably
> reading this. Any chance of that?

You should not expect that sort of business info to be made available
to you, neither privately nor publicly.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at