RE: st: Problem with bfit command for model selection

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Problem with bfit command for model selection
Date   Thu, 20 Mar 2014 20:36:34 +0000

Lubo,

I was able to reproduce your error, both using the auto.dta sample data set and the spmdata sample data set that comes with -bfit-.  After some exploring, I determined that the error stems from trying to run logit models that contain only categorical independent variables.  Whether or not it makes sense to run such a model (since -bfit- is designed to generate polynomial terms from any continuous variables in the model), it is definitely a bug, since -bfit- should warn you that this is a problem or should be able to pass along the results from such a model without generating an error.

To reproduce the bug on the spmdata sample data set, do the following:
. use spmdata, clear
. gen binary=rouond(runiform())   // You can generate more categorical variables if you want, but the result is the same
. bfit logit w binary

You can use a similar procedure with the auto sample data set:
. sysuse auto, clear
. gen binary=rouond(runiform())   // You can generate more categorical variables if you want, but the result is the same
. bfit logit foreign binary rep78

Using one of these examples, you should be able to provide the author of -bfit- with enough information to reproduce the bug.

Regards,
Joe