Re: st: Assigning values to a number of rows of a matrix

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Assigning values to a number of rows of a matrix
Date   Mon, 24 Feb 2014 09:22:06 +0000

internet exchanges and so is best avoided.

Comments:

1. A loop over just two variables is somewhat over the top.

2. You cannot easily store an entire vector in a local macro. As it
happens, putting a vector into a macro only to take it out again is
quite unnecessary.

3. -xi:- is outdated unless you are using an old version of Stata (in
which case, as advised in the FAQ, you should be telling us that).

4. Unique values are those occurring precisely once. I suspect that
you are interested in the number of distinct values. -search distinct-
in Stata to get guidance on that. (StataCorp's use of terminology
could be improved here, in my view.)

5. But you don't need to know the number of rows or columns you are
adding to a matrix, which makes this kind of technique possible

sysuse auto, clear
xi: mean mpg i.rep78
mat b = e(b)
xi: mean mpg i.foreign