st: Assigning values to a number of rows of a matrix

From   Eilya Torshizian <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Assigning values to a number of rows of a matrix
Date   Mon, 24 Feb 2014 05:14:17 +0000

Dear Statalisters,

In a loop, I would like to add values derived from a command (such as -mean-) to a matrix. Let's assume GENDER and MARITAL are categorical variables with 2 categories, which brings the total categories to 4 (CAT=4). I need to create a matrix with the size of the number of categories. However, I could not derive the total number of unique values by using -inspect-.

*HOW TO DERIVE THE TOTAL UNIQUE VALUES FOR A VARLIST: global VARS GENDER MARITAL?
matrix M = J(`CAT',2,0)
local i = 1
foreach VAR of varlist GENDER MARITAL {
xi: mean i.`VAR'
local MEAN = e(b)
*HERE I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SAY: MATRIX M[1:2,1] = MEAN[1:2,1]:
matrix M[`i',1] = MEAN
local i = `i' + `THE NUMBER OF CATEGORIES OF `VAR'' - 1
}

In the end, I would like to save the M matrix as an 'rtf' document.

Thanks,
Eilya.