st: mediation analysis with proportional data

From   "Sandra Virgo" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: mediation analysis with proportional data
Date   Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:36:56 +0000

Hello all

I'd like to know the right type of mediation analysis to use with my proportional data.
I am using Stata 13 for Windows.

My original regression analysis of these data used a generalised linear model with a logit link i.e. a fractional logit as detailed here: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/faq/proportion.htm
The DV is a proportion between 0 and 1, as is the IV and some of the covariates. There are a few actual 0 and 1 values.

I now wish to do a mediation analysis with the same data, with the same IV and DV, but testing whether one of the covariates (a proportion between 0 and 1) is a mediator. I also wish to keep the other covariates in. I have read the sem mediation instructions http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/faq/sem_mediation.htm but of course I have proportional variables so cannot fit a linear model.

Therefore I have used gsem and used a logit link function and binomial family as in the regression analysis. But a colleague has informed me that the output is not valid, and he thinks that there isn't a mediation analysis programme which will suit my data.

Should I give up using gsem for these data? If so, is there a better mediation programme for my data?

Best Wishes
Sandra Virgo
PhD student
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine