Re: st: combine 2 variables

From   Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: combine 2 variables
Date   Wed, 12 Feb 2014 00:29:54 -0500

I feel that what you want is to generate a single diagnostic variable
that has a different value for any combination of diag1 and diag2, and
label it appropiately. This is just my interpretation of your rather
not well explained problem.

If this is what you want, here's an example. -labmask- is from SSC, so
you need to install it first.

clear
input diag1 diag2
1 .
2 .
3 .
1 2
end
label define diag_lbl 1 "Hem" 2 "Asph" 3 "Strk"
la val diag1 diag_lbl
la val diag2 diag_lbl
list

* Generate the new variable
egen cdiag=group(diag1 diag2), missing
list
* Label it with a combination of the other labels
* Decode the labels
decode diag1, gen(labdiag1)
decode diag2, gen(labdiag2)
* Combine them
gen plus="+" if diag2!=.
gen labcdiag=labdiag1+plus+labdiag2
drop plus
* Now assign labcdiag as value label for cdiag
labmask cdiag, val(labcdiag) lblname(cdiag_lbl)
drop lab*
li
des

Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez