RE: st: combine 2 variables

From   Dao Kim <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: combine 2 variables
Date   Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:22:20 +0000

Most of my patients have 1 diagnosis: ie hemorrhage, asphyxia or stroke (variable dg1)
Some have 2: hemorrhage and asphyxia (another variable dg2); is it possible to associate these two as only one variable for one patient? I am trying to evaluate the efficacy of a drug according to the diagnosis, there are so few patients with 2 diagnoses (dg2) that it doesn't make sense to use it isolated.  it does this make more sense?

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] De la part de Nick Cox
Envoyé : mardi 11 février 2014 20:07
À : [email protected]
Objet : Re: st: combine 2 variables

Dao Kim:

This is incomprehensible.

"combine": what does that mean?

"Concat" doesn't work. I guess that you tried -egen, concat()- but what exactly did you try? What do you mean by "doesn't work"?  What did it do? Why isn't that what you want?

"merge 1:1 id"  -merge- is for merging two or more datasets. That is a completely different problem from combining two variables.

But forget all that.

What are your variables?

What are your observations?

Please show us an example of your data.

Please show us an example of what you want to get.