Re: st: weighting ordinal multilevel model

From   Lucas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: weighting ordinal multilevel model
Date   Tue, 11 Feb 2014 07:36:54 -0800

Whether ignoring the sample design will give you wrong results depends
on: 1)the sample design and 2)your research question.

A low-level example is that if a sample of engineers oversamples women
in engineering, and if one's aim is compare male and female engineers,
then one need not use weights.  However, if one seeks to use that
sample to ascertain the average outcome for engineers, then one would
need to use weights.

As one multilevel model example of an infinite number of
possibilities, if the complexity of the sample design is such that
within-context the cases are a simple random sample of all cases in
the context, but contexts are sampled using stratified sampling, then
controlling for the context-level strata at level 2 should be
sufficient to avoid having to use weights.

I'm no sampling statistician, so if one is listening I invite them to
weigh-in (no pun intended).

For more examples with regression (which will suggest the principles
underlying my response above) see:

Winship, Christopher, and Larry Radbill.  1994.  "Sampling Weights and
Regression Analysis." *Sociological Methods and Research* 23: 230-257.

Take care.
Sam