Re: st: high-DPI eps or emf files

Subject   Re: st: high-DPI eps or emf files
Date   Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:34:10 -0500

Laszlo,
wmf file is using a predefined logical coordinates which nominally map
to about 22 and 3/4 inches (32768*1/1440). Vector files are commands
(programs) for the executor on how to draw them. Different executors
may decide to draw them with a different degree of tolerance, or
interpret the commands (and distances) any way they like. That is
controlled by the mapping mode, and there is at least half a dozen of
those.

I suggest you try a different "player". E.g. if you currently embed a
graph into Word, try to visualize the file in e.g. IrfanView, and  see
whether it is still blurry. If necessary, convert to PNG with
IrfanView.

You can specify "resolution" in emf files. That's because there you
can embed pictures, and hence the whole graph can be represented as
one huge embedded picture in the EMF. Usually one can identify it from
the file size it skyrockets from a few kb to a few mb with this. I
don't think Stata will allow you doing this. IrfanView will save an
image as EMF.

This older article by Friedrich Huebler apparently quotes a method
recommended by StataCorp:
http://huebler.blogspot.com/2005/04/creating-png-images-with-stata.html

I'd go with a high resolution PNG, which I can later rescale with
IrfanView (select the slowest subsampling method, nowadays it takes
<1sec for any graph anyways, but the quality varies substantially).

Finally, blurry look on the screen doesn't automatically mean blurry
printing. Try it out.

How blurry is blurry? Can you share the a) original emf/wmf file; and
b) document with embedded blurry graph.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin