Re: st: How to graph this.

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to graph this.
Date   Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:54:15 -0500

Dear Amadou,

A fair amount of literature in statistical graphics supports the
position that stacked bars are not an effective form of display.  The
display on that MIT site is cute, but it also is not effective, for
similar reasons.  It's clever that, by hovering the cursor over each
of the unlabeled little rectangles, one can get its name and size, but
those do not allow useful graphical comparisons among all the little
pieces (with their labels in view).  Beyond a general comparison among
the larger areas shown with different colors, the main message of that
display is more like "See how clever we are."  For a more-effective
set of displays, one could start with the large pieces, as separate
(undivided) bars and then use further displays of the same type to
show the individual components in each of those large pieces.

Your work on African products may be part analysis and part display.
The analysis should get at the main regularities and patterns, and
then the display can emphasize those (and important departures from
them).

David Hoaglin