Re: st: How to graph this.

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to graph this.
Date   Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:08:39 +0100

That looks like a mosaic plot. As far as I know, the only version of a
mosaic plot that has been implemented in Stata is Nick Cox's
-spineplot- (available from SSC), However that is for two-dimensional
problems, i.e. involving two variables, and you seem to have a
one-dimensional problem, i.e. one variable. I don't think that what
you were asked to do is a very good idea: look at how your information
is stored in the graph. It is there in terms of the area of different
blocks. Humans are pretty bad at interpretating areas, so your graph
is not a very efficient way of conveying information.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Amadou DIALLO <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear statlisters,
> I've been asked to produce the following graph, but couldn't find a
> way to do it.
> Let's say you have 3 individuals whose income are
>
> obs inc
> 1    75
> 2    12.5
> 3    12.5
>
> I want to have the following graph: a matrix of total income, where
> each individual's share will be plotted.

> |                              |             |
> |                              |     12.5  |
> |         75                  |  --------   |
> |                              | 12.5      |
> |                              |             |

> If possible, I want to add labels and plot each box with a different
> color. Of course, in my sample, I have more observations.
>
> Best regards and thanks for usual support.
>
> --
> Amadou B. DIALLO, PhD.
> Senior Economist, AfDB.
> [email protected]